Senior press officer (External Communications)
Job group 4
Directorate External Communications
EPO Munich (DE)
Directorate External Communications is responsible for designing, developing and executing external communication strategies at the EPO, and reports directly to the President of the Office. The work of the directorate covers media relations, online communication (including www.epo.org), social media, video production, publications, corporate identity, branding and events. Through flagship products and events such as the annual report and the yearly European Inventor Award the directorate explains the role of patents in the European economy and hence the importance of the EPO in helping to foster innovation, growth, prosperity and employment.
The directorate works closely with experts from across the EPO on message development and information campaigns, and liaises with Internal Communication on matters of interest to staff. The directorate often subcontracts project work to external agencies, providing them with guidance and feedback.
The directorate is currently looking for a senior press officer, based in Munich, who will bring in-depth experience in journalism and media relations at EU level in Brussels and/or in the German media to bear at the EPO.
- Handling day-to-day calls with the media and other external stakeholders, issuing statements, press releases and publications
- Working with all external communication channels (social media/digital/traditional media) to ensure that the EPO reaches its target audience
- Collaborating with colleagues within External Communications to ensure that the work of the Press Office is in line with all communication content
- Working with and advising policymakers within the Office on how to handle media issues, ensuring that the message is consistent with the objectives and priorities of the EPO
- Organising press conferences and preparing interviews of the President and/or senior management
- Advising EPO management on how to handle media when required
The ideal candidate will have
- a proven track record over several years in media relations at European and/or German level
- in-depth experience in strategic communication and/or press work
- a strong network of professional connections within the media
- excellent oral and written knowledge of English (native-speaker level) and German; the ability to understand French and/or Dutch would be an advantage
- a good appreciation of the importance of intellectual property for the European economy
- Diploma of completed studies at university level or – in exceptional cases – equivalent knowledge acquired over many years of qualified work.
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation.
- Several years’ experience in the field of communications and/or related areas.
Salary and benefits
The EPO offers competitive salaries, an excellent social package, and varied work in a modern international environment. The net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy ranges from EUR 5 223 to 7 396, depending on experience. In addition, depending on their personal circumstances, EPO staff may be entitled to relocation benefits and various allowances (e.g. household, dependant’s, childcare, education, expatriation, installation and rent allowance).
after deduction of EPO internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social-security and pension schemes.
Duration of the contract
The contract will be for the duration of five years with possibility of extension. Subsequent appointment as permanent employee may be possible, if conditions laid down in the EPO Service Regulations are fulfilled.
At the end of our selection process, we may place suitable candidates on a reserve list for a limited period of time. Being on a reserve list does not guarantee a job offer or imply any entitlement to employment at the EPO. You will be considered automatically for vacancies in your field. No action is required on your part unless we contact you.
Procedure and timeframe
The successful candidate will be selected on the basis of qualifications and experience, supplemented as appropriate by interviews, tests and/or a personality questionnaire.
The interviews will be held in Munich, probably in calendar weeks 24 and 25.
Please apply online, using the online application form via this link reference number EUR/5993. Application until: 9 June 2016
Keywords: Job vacancy, Full-time, Germany, PR, Communications Officer, Online communication.