Vacancy Notice 2015-25
OPEN TO INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CANDIDATES
Duty Station: Regional Office in Brussels, Belgium
Position title: EU Legal Compliance Officer
Organizational Unit: EU Financial Liaison/ Regional Resource Management Unit
Type of Appointment: One Year Fixed Term (with the possibility of extension)
Estimated Starting Date: January 2016
Reference Code: VN 2015-25
Under the overall guidance of the Head of the EU Financial Liaison and Regional Resource Management Unit at RO Brussels and the direct supervision of the EU Financial Compliance
Officer, in coordination with the Office of Legal Affairs at Headquarters, Manila and Panama, as applicable, the incumbent will be responsible to provide legal assistance to IOM Missions worldwide in order to strengthen legal compliance of EU funded projects implemented by IOM.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Review draft contracts with various EU institutions and ensure compliance with applicable Framework Agreements and IOM internal legal requirements. Coordinate with Legal
Department at HQ and field missions, as required.
2. Assist in providing legal advice on the drafting of agreements and contracts, including with implementing partners where specific EU compliance conditions must be considered.
Liaise with the Legal department when required.
3. Assist in providing legal advice on implications of non-standard provisions and/or legal compliance issues on contracts that entail provisions that are not in line with policies,
instructions, regulations and rules.
4. Assist in general negotiations with EC on contractual conditions under the EU Financial Regulations;
5. Prepare and deliver training modules on EU contracting in IOM official languages (English, French, Spanish);
6. Monitor EU websites for updates and new instructions with regards to financing instruments under MFF 2014-2020 and successor financing instruments;
7. Assist in drafting IOM internal instructions, interpretations of various rules and regulations, and provide feedback, follow-up, statistics and reports on IOM activities.
8. Participate in meetings as required;
9. Perform any other duties as required.
a) Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
b) Establish and maintains effective working relationships with all clients and stakeholders;
c) Promotes continuous learning and contributes to colleagues’ learning;
d) Writes and communicates clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience;
e) Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
f) Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
g) Actively seeks new ways of improving programs or services and proactively develops new ways to resolve problems;
h) Displays mastery of subject matter;
i) Contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment;
j) Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation; k) Displays awareness of
relevant technological solutions;
l) Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM;
m) Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts.
a) Effectively provides sound and clear advice on EU legal matters using knowledge of IOM mandate, privileges and immunities, and other relevant internal and external (especially EU) regulations and laws;
b) Effectively applies knowledge of relevant EU legal discipline;
c) Ensures application of institutional legal policies and guidelines;
d) Advocates incorporation of legal considerations into processes and procedures
Required Qualifications and Experience:
a) Master degree in Law;
b) Proven experience on EU legal matters is a requirement;
c) Experience in liaison with internal and external counterparts, an advantage;
d) Experience in contract review in an international organization is a distinct advantage;
e) Experience in preparing and delivering trainings is an advantage;
f) Excellent analytical and decision making skills;
g) Excellent negotiation and communication skills;
h) Experience in reviewing legal documents, papers or speeches, an advantage;
Fluency in oral and written English is required. Fluency in French and Spanish is a distinct advantage.
1. Post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration.
Method of Application:
Applications (Personal History Form or CV and motivation/cover letter) should be addressed to quoting the above vacancy notice number.
Closing date: 23rd November 2015