- Táto udalosť už prebehla.
German EU Presidency: A difficult task in difficult times
30 júna @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
The German EU Council Presidency, which was called by Foreign Minister Heiko Maas as “Coronavirus Presidency” begins on 1 July.
The continuing battle against the pandemic and reconstruction of European economies will be the main challenges, but other important topics lie ahead as well. Finalising negotiations with the United Kingdom about relations after Brexit is among them. Important priorities already set before the current crisis with regard to climate change, digitalisation and EU budget will be maintained, and finding a compromise among member states regarding EU Recovery Plan represents a new complex task.
Major challenges need to be resolved. Is Germany up for the task? And how do its partners to the East – the Czech Republic and Slovakia – look at the priorities of the upcoming Presidency?
Suggested themes for debate:
- What are the priorities of the German EU Presidency 2020? How do they change because of the pandemic?
- Czech and Slovak reaction to the priorities: Are they what Europe needs right now? What are the common interests of Central Europe?
- EU Multiannual Financial Framework: Can Germany successfully finalise the negotiations this year?
- European Commission’s Recovery Plan: Slovaks for, Czechs against. How can the Presidency find a compromise?
- Brexit: How to ensure the deal will be reached in time?
- China: An enemy, a rival or a friend?
09:30-10:00 Launch of the online conference / Participants joining the conference
10:00-10:30 Online session will be open by interventions from:
- Hans-Peter Hinrichsen, Head of the Political Affairs Unit, Embassy of Germany
- Ales Chmelar, Deputy Foreign Minister for European Affairs, Czech Republic
- Tomas Valasek, Chair of the EU Affairs Committee (Za ľudí), National Council of Slovak Republic
- Tomas Zdechovsky, Member of European Parliament (KDU-CSL / EPP)
10:30-12:00 Moderated debate with questions and interventions from all participants
The event is organized by Spolek pro evropskou politiku (NGO affiliated with EURACTIV.cz) in cooperation with Hanns-Seidel-Stiftung, EURACTIV.cz and EURACTIV Slovakia.
Simultaneous interpretation (EN / CZ) will be provided.
The debate will take place via Zoom. Access link to Zoom will be shared with you based upon your registration. To register, follow this link.