Job vacancy at ETUI
The European Trade Union Institute (ETUI) is an international association in the non-trading sector – www.etui.org. The ETUI conducts research and provides scientific, educational and technical support to the European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC) and its affiliates. Its mission is to contribute towards the development of a social Europe and social dialogue.
The ETUI is looking for a head of unit for its unit ‘Health and Safety/Working Conditions’.
The head of unit will manage and supervise the activities of the unit. He/she will facilitate the communication and cooperation within the unit and function as a ‘relais’ within the department as well as with the ETUC.
In close collaboration with the director of department, the head of unit will set up a draft work programme for the unit in collaboration with the unit’s team members. The head of unit will be responsible for translating and articulating the work programme into coherent projects and activities. He/she will ensure that the activities set out in the work programme will be carried out and that the team members of the unit deliver on the planned work programme. The head of unit will also be responsible for coordinating and communicating policy relevant issues with the ETUC and their affiliates.
- Contribute to the Institute’s Strategic Plan and develop the strategy for its area of responsibilities
- Organise and direct the activities of your department, promote innovation and encourage your team to achieve excellence
- Act as a point of reference and expert for your department, both internally and externally
- Represent the Institute and establish external contacts
- Take part in the sound financial management of the Institute and be responsible for managing the budgets of your department
APPROXIMATELY 65 PER CENT OF WORKING TIME
- Is a reference and expert for the department both internally and externally
- Ensures an advisory role vis-à-vis the unit;
- Ensures an active coordinating role vis-à-vis external stakeholders;
- Participates in the quality control of the production of the unit in accordance with the standards set within the knowledge generating community;
- Carries out research and contributes to the publication record of the department;
APPROXIMATELY 35 PER CENT OF WORKING TIME
- Contribute to the conception and coordination of the work programme
- Participates in the definition of the strategy of the unit in collaboration with management;
- Participates in the elaboration of the work programme together with the unit’s team members;
- Ensures the coherence of the projects of the unit;
- Monitors and evaluates the progress of the work programme and redirects the activities in accordance with the strategies choices of the ETUI;
- Participates in the development of cooperation with external key partners.
- Carry out managerial tasks
- Participate in translating the work programme into coherent projects and activities together with the unit team members;
- Allocates ad hoc tasks within the unit;
- Ensures the sharing of information within the unit;
- Contributes to defining the expectations of the unit in close collaboration with management
- Stimulates and manages the team;
- Ensures the respect of procedures and decisions according to the ETUI internal rules and regulation.
- Participates in recruitment of staff members for the unit.
- Participates in the evaluation of team members
- Participates in setting up and carrying out processes to guarantee quality control.
- Coordinate and monitor the financial and administrative work of the unit
- In direct collaboration with the director of the department, the head of unit allocates the financial means necessary for the carrying out of the projects defined within the in the unit;
- Ensures the monitoring of the expenses;
- Reallocates budgets in order to optimise the budget, with a limit of up till 10K euro;
- Follows and reacts accordingly to the financial reporting of the unit’s activities;
- Ensures the operational reporting of the unit (activity reports, etc;);
- Guarantees the respect of internal and external regulation with respect to procedures;
- Establishes and ensures follow-up on call for tenders and relations with contractees.
- Coordinates the project planning and carries out the Monitoring
- Elaborates a planning of the projects and ensuing activities together with the team members of the unit;
- Guarantees the monitoring and respect of established dead-lines;
- Produces a reporting to his/her line-manager;
- Organises the transfer of information between team members and management;
- Coordinates and organises the unit meetings on a regular basis.
We are looking for
The candidate is expected to have at least a master degree and 10 years of experience, a taste for working in teams, a good knowledge of the ETUI and it’s functioning, as well as the ETUC and trade unions and the European institutions. Furthermore the candidate should have a well established reputation within his/her expert area, and have a proven publication record.
The candidates should furthermore have a well-developed sense of team work with highly qualified team members as well as organisation and planification, sense of priorities and be result oriented. The person should be committed to dead-lines, know how to identify key challenges and be able to delegate and motivate.
Conditions of employement
The ETUI offers a challenging and dynamic working environment, combining excellent academic standards with close contacts to European policy makers. For further information visit: http://www.etui.org. The ETUI offers good working conditions with a competitive salary and an attractive package of fringe benefits in line with qualifications and experience.
Applications and supporting documents (CV, evidence of qualifications, list of publications, etc.) should be sent before 3 March 2017 to:
Director of Research Department
Boulevard du Roi Albert II, 5