Reference: 2016-028-TRA EXT
Functional area: Communications
Function: The European Central Bank (ECB) is seeking applications from recent graduates or students who are close to completing their master’s studies for a traineeship in the English Translation and Editing Section (ETE) within Directorate General Communications (DG/C). ETE is responsible for providing translation, editing, proof-reading and terminology services for the ECB to support the ECB’s reporting obligations and its external communication activities in English. ETE also advises the staff and the decision-making bodies of the ECB on linguistic matters.
The aim of the traineeships is to provide talented candidates with an opportunity to gain professional experience in translating into English from other official European Union (EU) languages and in editing/proof-reading of documents in English.
The trainees will be expected to participate actively in the work of ETE. Successful applicants will be entrusted with the following main tasks:
– translating into English from other official EU languages a broad range of materials in the fields of monetary policy and banking supervision;
– editing and proof-reading of documents drafted in English;
– providing linguistic and drafting advice in English in support of the ECB’s communication policy.
Qualifications and experience: Applicants must have the following knowledge and competencies:
– a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification) in translation or modern languages, or be a student currently embarking upon his/her final year of master’s degree on such a course;
– a perfect command of English together with proven drafting ability in English;
– ability to translate from at least one EU official language into English;
– experience of editing and/or proof-reading English texts, either as part of a degree course or in a professional context, would be an advantage;
– ideally, experience of translating using computer-assisted translation tools such as Studio;
– a basic knowledge of economics, central banking issues and/or banking supervision would be an asset;
– a working knowledge of MS Office, such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Competencies: The successful candidates will have the following behavioural competencies:
– generate agreed results within tight time frames, prioritising tasks and paying attention to detail, and are able to manage multiple assignments and track progress on numerous processes simultaneously;
– communicate effectively using simple and clear language;
– handle sensitive information in a discreet and confidential manner, respecting confidentiality;
– define success in terms of the whole team, share information and support team members in the attainment of common goals;
– establish and maintain cooperative relationships with staff and management;
– demonstrate a conscientious attitude and understand the key organisational goals and the wider context in which we work;
– adapt to changing plans and circumstances with ease and embrace new technology and processes with enthusiasm;
– handle sensitive information in a discreet manner, respecting confidentiality;
– use diplomacy and tact when dealing with colleagues.
Traineeship for a period of six months, with the possibility of a six-month extension in the same business area.
The selection committee may place suitable candidates on a reserve list, from which candidates may be appointed to similar positions in the same or another business area. It may also be decided to fill the position(s) advertised in this vacancy notice with a suitable candidate or candidates from the reserve list resulting from a recruitment procedure for a similar position. Candidates will be informed accordingly if this happens.
How to apply:
Applications are to be made in English and submitted using our online application form. An „Applicants’ Guide“ can be downloaded from our recruitment pages.
The recruitment process may include a pre-screening exercise and a telephone interview.
Before applying, applicants should check that they meet the conditions set out in Article 4 of the rules governing the traineeship programme:
Further information on the ECB’s traineeships can be found at
Applicants are accepted from nationals of the Member States of the European Union.
The requirements laid down in the vacancy notice must be met by the closing date for applications.
This vacancy notice may be used to fill the same position again, or similar positions, within 12 months of the selection decision.