The EIB, the European Union’s bank, is seeking for its Economics Department at its headquarters in Luxembourg:
Duration: 6 months (fixed start date: 1st March 2018)
Please note that, as marked on our Webpage, only applications from nationals of the Member States of the European Union, as well as citizens from countries with which EU accession negotiations have started, can be considered.
Objective of the traineeship
The objective of the traineeship is twofold. The Economics department will benefit from the knowledge and technical skills of the trainee in tasks that are very labour-intensive and require substantial specialized knowledge that is typical for Ph.D. candidates in economics. The trainee will benefit from working in an international financial institution, thereby gaining work experience, insights into policy analysis in practice, establishing professional contacts and gaining knowledge of the functioning of the EIB.
Under the supervision of the economists in charge, the trainee will carry out work related to 4 specific projects.
- Economic analysis, modelling and database development, including link macroeconomic scenario with sovereign rating model;
- Economic analysis, modelling and database development, including link with capital flows in Europe and Macroeconomic impact of EIB activities.
The trainee’s main tasks will be to:
- Identify relevant data sources, manage datasets, extract and provide data for statistical analysis;
- Provide basic statistics, charts, tables and short reports based on their data work;
- Co-operate with EIB economists in building statistical models for data analysis;
- Co-operate and assist EIB economists in analysing the results from the statistical analysis, providing economic rationale and drawing policy conclusions;
- Draft short summaries of existing theoretical and empirical research relevant to the publication.
Academic qualifications and professional skills
The candidates should have a good understanding of economic theory and statistical methods for empirical analysis. A Bachelor in Economics or Finance is a minimum requirement. Those with a Master or Ph.D. candidate will be given priority. The candidate should have a very good capacity to handle data and to elaborate statistical and economic analysis and previous knowledge of one of the above mentioned topics. The candidate should have an excellent knowledge of written and spoken English; good knowledge of French would be an advantage.
- Sound knowledge of advanced statistical methods and deep understanding of economic theory are a prerequisite;
- Previous work or studies focusing on investment, investment finance, financial sector performance, corporate financial structure and investment decisions might be an advantage;
- Analytical skills and ability to clearly communicate are essential.
Please note that deadline for application is the 26/11/2017.
More information on our EIB Internship Programme and Provisions for In-service training can be consulted on our EIB website;http://www.eib.org/about/jobs/student-jobs/index.htm