The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. It has over 9,000 employees in more than 125 countries.
The Regional Representation to Western Europe (RRWE), based in Brussels, coordinates (relevant) activities for UNHCR offices in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. It also works closely with UNHCR headquarters.
The protection/legal team of UNHCR RRWE is seeking a Regional Child Protection Officer starting 1 November 2017 until the 2nd quarter of 2019, working under a UNOPS contract.
Main duties and responsibilities
The Regional Child Protection Officer will:
- Improve Best Interests procedures in Western Europe (including in border, Dublin and Dubs procedures);
- Develop/contribute to the development of training and certification for guardians in Western Europe;
- Improve care arrangements of Unaccompanied and Separated Children (UASCs), providing ad-hoc advice to the country offices covered by RRWE, identifying and disseminating good practices in the reception of UASCs throughout RRWE and with the Bureau for Europe (BE), and writing recommendations for reception facilities;
- Review/improve information and information mechanisms directed towards children;
- (brochure, apps, social media, etc.), supporting mainstream the participation of UASCs;
- Promote UNHCRs policies on child protection;
- Support RRWE and country offices in Western Europe in planning and reporting activities on Child Protection;
- Coordinate child protection staff/focal points in national offices in RRWE, consolidate child protection activities in RRWE, provide staff with technical support, share good practices, etc.
Required skills and qualifications
- University degree in Law, Political Sciences, Human Rights, Social Sciences, or other related disciplines;
- Minimum 5 years working experience in the areas of asylum/human rights and refugee child protection in a governmental institution, an international organisation or a NGO dealing with refugees and refugee children in Europe or in the field;
- Excellent knowledge of the international legal framework related to refugees and particularly to refugee children as well as a sound understanding of asylum issues in Europe;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of adult learning methodologies;
- Disponibility to undergo ponctual missions in countries covered by the Regional Representation for Western Europe or elsewhere;
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of French;
- Strong communication skills;
- Strong reporting skills;
- Fully proficient computer skills including use of relevant software and other applications;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- A good command of German or Dutch languages is an asset;
- Knowledge of the institutions of the UN system is an asset.
How to apply
Candidates are invited to send a CV and a cover letter expressing their interest and relevant qualifications/experience to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject Regional Child Protection Officer, by Sunday, 15 October 2017 at 24:00.