CEE Bankwatch Network seeks an EU POLICY OFFICER
Bankwatch is today the largest network of grassroots, environmental groups in countries of central and eastern Europe and a leading force in preventing dubious public investments that harm the planet and people’s well-being in this region and beyond. Operating since 1995 in countries that have undergone significant social and economic transformation, we have the know-how to effectively work in unpredictable environments from North Africa to Central Asia. The banks and funds we watch are often obscure but always important entities that function outside the realm of public scrutiny. Together with local communities and other NGOs we work to expose their influence and provide a counterbalance to their unchecked power. Please see www.bankwatch.org for more information.
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of a green NGO working at the European level in Brussels. You will be working in a highly respected and growing campaign organisation, as part of a vibrant European network.
The EU policy officer leads the work in the area of greening EU funds and related policies to help them became the engine for transformation to a sustainable low carbon energy system. The EU policy officer is further responsible for strategic coordination of EU funds campaigns across the Bankwatch network.
The ideal candidate will meet the following profile –
- At least two-three years experience of campaigning and/or political lobbying; the post holder would be expected to be able to deal with very senior people with confidence;
- A good knowledge of European energy agenda, as well as, environmental and cohesion policies;
- A good knowledge about CEE countries – legislation, environmental and social problems, economic situation;
- Proven networking experience in a multi-national environment, preferably in the field of environment;
- Familiarity with EU institutions, processes, timetables and stakeholders;
- Proven experience in teams and processes coordination;
- Strong communication skills, including ability to synthesize complex information;
- Proven research and analytical skills;
- Ability to work in a multinational environment and able to accommodate cultural diversities; able to pursue new and unfamiliar challenges;
- Ability to work under time pressure to take own initiatives and to manage time and capacities efficiently;
- Experience in fundraising and funding applications;
- Fluency in English and preferably another European (especially CEE) language;
- Readiness to travel frequently in Europe;
- Passion and dedication to environmental and social issues;
- Coalition-building, strong team player;
- Ability to build knowledge in new areas and topics.
Primary responsibilities of the EU Policy Officer will include the following –
- Advocacy targeting EU level decision-makers in Bankwatch campaigns related to EU Funds
- Communication with media at the Brussels-level
- Analysis of EU funding and financing policy in CEE countries
- Building understanding of national energy-transformation agenda (in the relevant countries) → being in continuous contact with national-level and able to follow actors and trends
- Bringing together different perspectives and synthesizing them into a single message
- Advising at the national-level on campaign entry-points on EU funds and EIB in relation to the transformation agenda
- Strategic coordination of EU funds-related campaigns and the national and EU levels including providing guidance, expertise and assistance
- Building and developing EU-wide coalition for work on the transformation agenda with partners from social, development and research organisations
- Providing input and/or comment to the narrative for fundraising proposals and reporting documents for Bankwatch
- Coordinating and overseeing the implementation of assigned project activities
- Close supervision of assigned staff in Bankwatch.
How to apply
This is a full-time position, based in Brussels, subject to a three month trial period.
To apply, please send a letter of motivation and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The letter of motivation should clearly describe why you want the job and demonstrate how your skills and experience are relevant to the job requirements detailed above.
Closing date for applications: September 7, 2016.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in Brussels on the week of September 12, 2016.
Expected start date: October 2016.
Bankwatch is an equal opportunities employer.