The Consortium of European Social Science Data Archives (CESSDA) was established in June 2013, as a permanent pan-European distributed research infrastructure. CESSDA provides full scale, integrated and sustainable social science data services across Europe. The Main Office is located in Bergen, Norway, and Service Providers in 16 European countries currently take part in the CESSDA cooperation. The current Consortium is a continuation of the Council of European Social Science Data Archives that, since 1976, have existed as an umbrella organisation for social science data archives across Europe.
More information on CESSDA: http://cessda.net/
CESSDA is now completing the process of becoming a full European Research Infrastructure Consortium (ERIC) and is seeking qualified candidates for the full-time position of:
S/He will act as the chief executive officer, chief scientific officer and legal representative of CESSDA ERIC, leading the team and organisation to the next level.
The Director is expected to:
- Lead the scientific and technical development, and operational implementation, of the distributed infrastructure, as well as the coordination of the Service Providers.
- Build strong and effective pan-European and further international relationships, with a broad range of stakeholders within and outside the consortium.
- Report to the General Assembly on the development of CESSDA, including strategy, work programme and budget.
- Monitor the adherence of the Service Providers to the operational rules and standards for CESSDA-related activities and projects.
- Facilitate and support the Service Provider’s Forum and the Scientific Advisory Board.
- Ensure that CESSDA’s services comply with appropriate legal regulations and other relevant ethical, scientific and societal principles.
- Lead the pan-European and broader international fundraising efforts for CESSDA.
- Direct and manage the CESSDA central office and team in Bergen.
- Coordinate public relations and key dissemination activities.
The ideal candidate will have:
- a higher university degree in Social Sciences, or a closely-related field
- a professional background in social science research and/or data management
- a proven track record in project acquisition & fundraising, on a European level
- a well-developed understanding of the ERIC concept and ESFRI Roadmap
- broad management capabilities, including experience in financial/budgetary management, organizational development and team leadership
- excellent communication and negotiation skills
The candidate should be able to articulate and develop a convincing strategic vision for CESSDA and demonstrate the leadership ability to make it a reality. The general strategy is adopted by the CESSDA General Assembly and set out in the ERIC statutes and related documents. S/He should have the organisational and management skills to deliver on a complex and evolving regional initiative. Specific experience from the European Research Area, ESFRI process and international arena, as well as the key funding mechanisms available, is desirable.
The Director is expected to have her/his daily office and home base at the Main Office in Bergen. Regular travel to service providers in other European locations is an important part of the role.
The Director will be appointed for a five year period and can be re-appointed. A competitive salary, based on the qualifications and experience of the candidate, will be offered. Relocation assistance will also be offered, where appropriate.
For candidates with the academic credentials and relevant scientific background, a 20% position as Associate or Full Professor at the University of Bergen could also potentially be combined with this role.
To submit an application, please send your Curriculum Vitae and a short Cover Letter to our search & selection advisers at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use ‘CESSDA Director’ in the title field
Closing date for receipt of applications: Sunday 18 September 2016
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly by Boyden Norway and should be prepared to participate in an interview with members of the CESSDA Recruitment Committee in Bergen, Norway. Interview date to be confirmed (Mid October 2016).
Anticipated start date in office, for the appointed Director: January 2017.
CESSDA is an inclusive, equal-opportunity and non-discriminatory employer.
For more information, contact: email@example.com