Job group 4
Directorate European and International Legal Affairs, PCT
EPO Munich (DE)
The European Patent Office (EPO) – the second largest public institution in Europe, with 7 000 staff members and a self-financed annual budget of EUR 2bn – is looking for a lawyer to work in Directorate European and International Legal Affairs, PCT.
Directorate European and International Legal Affairs, PCT is responsible for the further development of European and international patent law. High-priority projects, alongside its day-to-day work, are the implementation of the unitary patent package, the further harmonisation of substantive and procedural patent law at European and international level, the continued optimisation of procedures and practice under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) and the provision of advice for senior management on EU and international legal issues. The directorate is now seeking a committed lawyer to help both with these projects and with its day-to-day tasks.
- Assisting in the implementation of the unitary patent package, including drafting position papers and performing research on specific legal issues relating to the unitary patent and the Unified Patent Court
- Providing legal advice on matters relating to the European Patent Convention
- Providing legal advice on EU and international legal issues
- Drafting proposals and documents for the further development and practical implementation of European patent law
- Contributing to and providing legal review of various publications (EPC, Official Journal of the EPO, brochure on national law relating to the EPC), including advising European Patent Office management and the bodies of the European Patent Organisation on such publications
- Monitoring developments on patent matters in national legislation and jurisprudence, and providing analysis thereof
Ideal candidate will have
- a law degree with focus on patent law and/or job-related legal fields
- a successful track record of working on patent-related matters on an international level and in international team environments with highly skilled professional colleagues
- good knowledge of European and international patent law
- good knowledge of the legal framework of the unitary patent and the Unified Patent Court
- good knowledge of European Union and international law
- a strong service focus and proven ability to work efficiently, prioritise workflow and meet demanding deadlines
- excellent oral and written communication skills, a natural bias for action and team-driven work and a talent for creative and risk-intelligent problem solving
- very good working knowledge of English
- Diploma of completed university studies at master’s level or – in exceptional cases – equivalent professional experience
- Excellent knowledge of one official language (English, French or German) and ability to understand the other two
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation
Salary and benefits
The EPO offers competitive salaries, an excellent social package, and varied work in a modern international environment. The net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy ranges from EUR 5 223 to 7 396, depending on experience. In addition, depending on their personal circumstances, EPO staff may be entitled to relocation benefits and various allowances (e.g. household, dependant’s, childcare, education, expatriation, installation, rent and language allowance).
*after deduction of EPO internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social-security and pension schemes.
At the end of our selection process, we may place suitable candidates on a reserve list for a limited period of time. Being on a reserve list does not guarantee a job offer or imply any entitlement to employment at the EPO. You will be considered automatically for vacancies in your field. No action is required on your part unless we contact you.
Procedure and timeframe
The successful candidate will be selected on the basis of qualifications and experience, supplemented as appropriate by interviews, tests and/or a personality questionnaire.
It is intended to hold the interviews in calendar week 24 in Munich.
Please apply online, using the online application form via this link, reference number INT/EXT/5986.
Application until: 8 May 2016.
Agency calls are not appreciated
Keywords: Job vacancy, Full-time, Germany, Lawyer, Legal advisor, Legal Affairs, International law.