The European Foundation Centre (EFC) is a non-profit membership association, which promotes and supports the work of independent foundations and corporate funders that work or have a strong interest in Europe. The EFC is an equal opportunities employer with a diverse and international team of staff that is looking for enthusiastic team players to work in an exciting and challenging environment. Ideal candidates should have the ability to think laterally and with creativity in complex situations and in response to the varied needs of the EFC members.
The EFC is currently looking to hire an Events Officer who will be supporting the logistical planning, organisation and running of all EFC and Philanthropy House events. The Events Officer will report to the Conference and Events Manager and will be supported by an Events Intern. This position is for 12 month with the possibility of renewal.
- Coordinate and manage EFC meetings: Internal/external meetings held at Philanthropy House
- Help budget and coordinate the EFC’s main annual conferences
- Negotiate contracts and liaise with all event related suppliers (including hotels, caterers and technical suppliers
- Support Members, EFC staff and external clients with the logistical organization of events, at Philanthropy
- Ensure the smooth running of the Events Department through efficient communication with the other members of the team and EFC staff.
- Follow up with payments, invoicing, registrations and any post-event administration
Candidate Profile – Required skills
- The ideal candidate will have minimum 2-year work experience in events management. In addition to this, they will have:
- Excellent command of the English language (working language of the EFC), very good working knowledge of French – additional languages are an asset
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Proactive problem solver
- Good team player and able to work on own initiative
- Ability to work under pressure
- Attention to detail
- Strong IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook – Microsoft CRM is a plus)
- Availability to travel occasionally
More detailed description of tasks:
- Identifying venues and hotels in Brussels (and occasionally in Europe), negotiating rates and acting as main point of contact with them (this includes negotiating all-year corporate rates with Brussels properties and conducting site inspections of potential venues)
- Dealing with suppliers – travel agencies, caterers, technical equipment suppliers – as well as local counterparts when organizing events outside of Brussels
- Drafting budgets to keep track of costs/expenses for event logistics
- Arranging ad hoc travel/accommodation for VIPs, speakers, staff, etc.
- Working with colleagues, committees, speakers and/or session designers to establish time frames for event preparations, advising on event related matters and assisting them to ensure adequate meeting space, accommodation, catering, AV, etc. is provided
- Training new staff, developing staff schedules, preparing weekly event orders for in-house activities,
During the event
- Leading staff/guests in pre-conference site inspections and run-throughs
- Ensuring that the actual event runs smoothly and successfully by
- Checking that the session rooms are prepared and staffed
- Maintaining the communication with conference venue staff
- Dealing with any technical and logistical problems as they arise and adapt event orders to avoid possible further complications
- Dealing with any queries or problems in a quick and efficient manner
After the event
- Finalizing payments and dealing with the Accounting Department to make sure all logistical expenses are dealt with
- Dealing with issues and re-negotiating terms with suppliers (if needed)
For larger events
- Manage the scholarship funded programme
- Keeping track of income and expenditure
- Liaising with potential/selected candidates
- Follow up and follow through
- Ensuring information listed on the website is current and correct
- Coordinating the logistics of other meetings surrounding the main conference (coordinating venue management, caterers, stand designers, contractors and equipment hire)
How to Apply?
Please note that EFC will only respond to candidates selected for interviews.