As a team member of the Communications & Outreach Department based in our Brussels headquarters, you will be a meticulous and quick originator of inspiring and diverse English-language written material for publication and use on social media channels; an editor of written work by other colleagues for publication on our website and other platforms; assist in the production of Crisis Group newsletters; and will contribute to ensuring that the organisation’s public positions are well-represented in influential media outlets, particularly in English-language media.
- Draft and submit op-eds, commentary articles, media releases and other written contributions for global and regional media outlets to showcase Crisis Group and to advance its policy recommendations;
- Draft, edit and publish Crisis Group newsletters, media releases and other organisation publications, including the Weekly Update;
- Assist in the drafting, editing and production of other Crisis Group publications and website content as required;
- Develop and assist in maintaining Crisis Group’s relations with global, non-U.S. print, broadcast and online media outlets;
- Organise, schedule and follow up media interviews and background briefings with Crisis Group analysts around the world;
- Assist in preparing and implementing media launch strategies and other communication plans;
- Analyse media trends in coverage of conflicts worldwide and identify new opportunities to raise Crisis Group’s profile and messages, including via social media;
- Contribute to expanding and maintaining Crisis Group’s media contact lists;
- Monitor media coverage of Crisis Group and its staff and assist in the production of impact metrics;
- Publicly represent the organisation to external audiences; and,
- Manage interns in the Communications Department.
- University degree or significant experience in journalism, international relations or related field;
- At least five years of work experience in journalism and/or media relations, with a demonstrated ability to work with global media, including print, broadcast and online outlets;
- English language fluency; fluency in other languages than English an advantage, in particular French;
- Ability to write short, quick, and accurate summaries of complex and highly sensitive material;
- Experience of editing and publishing;
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, open office environment;
- Experience with the NGO sector, ideally related to conflicts or humanitarian crises;
- Experience and familiarity with common online social networking networks and tools;
- Knowledge of conflict zones highly preferable; and,
- Demonstrably highly organised and a team-player.
If interested in the role, please apply by no later than 23 September 2017 via website.