Special Vacancy Notice HR-2016-2
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Project Assistant I (EMN)
Duty Station : Zagreb, Croatia
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade Equivalent G4
Type of Appointment : Special Short Term – Grade Equivalent
until 31 December 2016
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : June 28, 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the general supervision of the Head of Office (HoO) and in coordination with Project Assistant II on the Project European Migration Network (EMN) National Contact Point (NCP) activities in the Republic of Croatia, the incumbent will be assisting in the implementation of all the EMN project activities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist with the implementation of all the EMN project activities, in line with IOM policies and donor/EC requirements.
- Assist in performing a pre-research on migration and asylum issues (Internet or other sources).
- Collect and present information and data obtained.
- Assist in the preparation of background information and presentation materials about EMN activities.
- Communicate with various stakeholders, actively promoting EMN activities.
- Assist with informal translations and/or act as an interpreter/translator (Croatian-English, English-Croatian).
- Actively participate in the project team meetings.
- Assist the Coordinator in the monitoring and evaluation of the project.
- Assist the Coordinator in the preparation of periodic and final reports on EMN activities.
- Assist in the preparation of the responses to the ad-hoc queries received.
- Undertake duty travels and participate in meetings and/or events as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of Office and/or the Coordinator of the EMN activities.
Required Qualifications and Experience
High-school diploma; specialized vocational training an advantage, as well as basic training in IOM project development and implementation.
- At least 4 years of relevant experience in project implementation support; familiarity with EU/EC funding policies and practices an asset;
- Experience in organizing capacity building seminars and/or project events advantageous;
- Knowledge of Croatian Government institutions; experience in establishing and/or maintaining official contacts with all organizational levels a distinct advantage;
- Experience with drafting official correspondence to/for governmental authorities and simultaneous translation in both Croatian and English a further asset;
- Advanced mastery of MS-Office applications and Internet.
Fluency in English and Croatian languages is required.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team’s work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Effectively applies knowledge of project activities implementation in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications at ZagHumanResources@iom.int by June 28, 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 15.06.2016 to 28.06.2016