Vacancy Notice 2016/94 (P)
Position Title : Senior Project Manager
Duty Station : Brussels, Belgium
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 10 May 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
- External female candidates.
IOM’s ‘EU Readmission Capacity Building Facility (EURCAP) provides a dedicated and flexible mechanism to assist the EU’s partner countries in areas such as identity management, readmission case management, voluntary return and reintegration assistance, post-arrival assistance to returnees, inter-state dialogue on practical cooperation in return, and data collection and analysis. The project aims to contribute to effective and efficient cooperation between the EU and its partner countries in the field of readmission through short-term capacity building initiatives in the above areas.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of the Policy and Programme Support Unit and technical oversight of the Head of the Immigration and Border Management Division in Headquarters (HQs). The successful candidate will be primarily responsible and accountable for the implementation, oversight, and coordination of the project and support similar activities within other programmes with readmission-related components.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement and monitor administrative and operational activities of the EURCAP Facility in line with IOM policies and donor requirements
- Manage, train and supervise project staff for efficient and prompt delivery of capacity building activities funded through the EURCAP Facility, and oversee the implementation of operational activities.
- Review and adjust proposals for support actions to ensure consistency with eligibility criteria of the EURCAP Facility, donor priorities and IOM areas of engagement. Formulate and present such proposals on the basis of technical and substantive input and in accordance with required format for final review and approval by the donor.
- Provide financial, administrative and technical backstopping to local project teams and ensure liaison with Headquarters, involved Regional Offices and Countries Offices of IOM as relates to project activities.
- Prepare or ensure timely preparation and submissions of all project reports according to IOM and donor formats as required. Prepare regular updates, programme summaries, visibility materials and other relevant materials.
- Locate and analyze specific return and readmission-related data, and prepare reports and analyses relevant to proposed activities. Identify and develop specific project components including development of country support actions, identification of experts, and monitoring and evaluation mechanisms.
- Stay abreast of policies, international standards and best practices relating to readmission and provide advice to the Head of the Policy and Programme Support, Headquarters, Regional Thematic Specialists and the EU/Regional Programme Development Officer;
- Raise co-funding for the project in often challenging, difficult and competitive environments.
- Participate in the development and maintenance of databases and other information management/reporting systems.
- Coordinate, organize and represent IOM in meetings, workshops and seminars.
- Undertake duty travel, including requests by local project teams for assistance to relevant project activities for assessment and monitoring so as to ensure efficient and prompt delivery of capacity building activities.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in International Relations, Political Science, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in liaising and negotiations with governmental authorities as well as local, regional and international partner institutions;
- Experience in migration management policy (specifically identity management, voluntary return, readmission and reintegration);
- Knowledge of EU policy, structures and European best practices in migration management (specifically voluntary return, readmission and reintegration);
- Experience in successfully managing multi-country, EU-funded projects;
- Experience in the design and implementation of migration management and/or migration assistance initiatives;
- Knowledge of IOM project management cycles is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working Knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 10 May 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 27.04.2016 to 10.05.2016