Reference: 2016-001-GP EXT
Closing Date for Applications: Mon, 1 Feb 2016
The European Central Bank (ECB) is seeking up to fifteen highly talented recent postgraduates for its 2016 Graduate Programme (GP).
The GP is a two-year programme which aims to provide its participants with a unique development opportunity and valuable on-the-job experience, as well as a clear insight into the ECB’s functions and operations. Selected candidates will also gain exposure to the policy-making process of the ECB. Whilst many of the ECB’s functions would benefit from participants with a background in economics, applications are also welcome from recent graduates with degrees in other fields.
On the basis of their academic background and in line with the prevailing organisational needs of the ECB, participants in the GP will receive two challenging assignments of one year each in two different business areas of the bank. Participants will contribute fully to the work of the divisions to which they are assigned and will work on a wide variety of issues broadly related to their field of expertise. During the second year of the programme, participants will write a project paper and present it before a panel for questions. The successful completion of the programme will be assessed by a Graduate Programme Committee on the basis of performance reviews and the project paper.
The selected candidates will benefit from extensive on-the-job learning and training opportunities.
Qualifications and experience:
Applicants must have the following knowledge and competencies:
- a master’s or PhD degree completed not more than two years prior to the closing date of applications, i.e. 31 January 2016, in a field of interest to the ECB, e.g. economics, financial markets, statistics, accounting, financial/commercial/EU law, political and social science, business administration, communications, information technology, engineering or facility management. Candidates holding a PhD degree will have a distinct advantage;
- PhD students completing their studies close to the appointment date (1 September 2016) are also eligible and encouraged to apply;
- a general interest in central banking activities and a particular interest in a broad range of functional areas of the ECB;
- mastery of relevant analytical tools and techniques;
- advanced-level command of English and a working knowledge of at least one other official language of the EU;
- advanced knowledge of MS Office applications, in particular Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
The successful candidate will have the following behavioural competencies:
- communicates ideas in an effective manner;
- establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with staff and management at all levels;
- takes initiative and is driven to achieve results;
- works both autonomously and as part of a team in a multicultural environment;
- is flexible and adaptable, and interested in working on a wide range of tasks in different functional areas.
Fixed-term contract of two years.
To further enhance the diversity of its workforce, the ECB particularly encourages applications from female candidates.
All applicants must have fulfilled their compulsory military service or alternative service.
Applications are to be made in English and submitted using our online application form. An “Applicants’ Guide” is available on our website.
The recruitment process may include on-line testing and remote interviewing, and will include an on-site panel interview.
Applications are accepted from nationals of Member States of the European Union.
The requirements laid down in the vacancy notice must be met by the closing date for applications.
After completion of 18 months of active service under the GP, participants may apply for positions advertised within the ECB. Participation in the GP does not guarantee, however, future employment at the ECB.
The initial two-year contract can be extended for an additional year for GP participants who have successfully completed the programme.
The status of ECB staff members holding permanent contracts will not be affected.
The requirement that the advanced university degree must have been obtained not more than two years prior to applying for the Graduate Programme will be waived for internal candidates.
Additional information on the ECB’s conditions of employment and the conditions of the Graduate Programme can be found here
This position has been allocated to salary band: E/F