Based in Brussels, INEA has been established by Commission Decision in December 2013, in accordance with Council Regulation (EC) No. 58/2003 of 19 December 2002.
INEA is managing the technical and financial implementation of parts of the Commission’s programme Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) for transport, energy and telecommunications, as well as parts of the specific objectives "Smart Green and integrated transport" and "Secure, clean and efficient energy" of part III societal challenges of the Horizon 2020 Specific Programme. It also continues with the implementation of the legacy of the Trans-European transport network programme and the legacy of the Marco Polo programme.
INEA will have an important extension in the coming years, and the purpose of this publication is therefore to set up a reserve list which will be used to cover these growing needs of the Agency.
Finance – Budget Officer
The jobholder will work in a dynamic team in charge for the planning, implementation and monitoring of the operational budget of the Agency. The jobholder will work to a high degree of autonomy under the supervision of the budget manager of the Agency. Under his supervision the job holder will provide support to the effective coordination, planning and management of budgetary and financial activities of the Agency. This challenging function includes all the phases of the process from budget planning, implementation and budget monitoring encompassing a large number of different budget lines assigned to the different programmes managed by the Agency.
Budget coordination, planning and reporting under supervision of the budget manager
• Contribute to the planning and preparation of the operational budget related to the activities of the Agency;
• Monitor budget execution (commitments and payments) in the Commission accounting system and prepare regular reports on budget implementation;
• Provide advice and support to his/her line manager in the presentation and negotiation of the budget including on the spot training on budgetary and financial issues;
• Monitor the implementation and execution of the operational budget of the Agency in line with the Activity Based Budgeting concept.
• Analyse budget consumption and provide advice on the optimal consumption of budgetary resources.
Communication and follow up of financial policy developments
• Participate in the drafting of manuals and notes on budget and financial procedures for the optimal implementation of the operational budget of the Agency;
• Follow up budget and financial policy developments with a view to their application in the Agency;
• Ensure close relation with the parent DG’s, if necessary with other Commission services, on budget issues including budget planning, reporting and allocation and/or transfer of credits;
INTERVIEW PERIOD – FROM :
INTERVIEW PERIOD : TO
Written test (30 min)
A case study in English designed to test:
– your knowledge in the field of the profile,
– your ability to understand, analyse and summarise,
– your drafting ability.
This test will be marked out of 40 (pass mark: 20).
B – Oral test (30 min)
Interview with a selection board in English to assess:
– your suitability to carry out the duties of a Budget Officer;
– your specialist knowledge in the budget and financial management;
– your communication, inter-personal and problem-solving skills;
– your general knowledge about the Agency and related policies;
– your motivation and your ability to adjust to working in a multicultural environment.
This test will be marked out of 100 (pass mark: 50).
Both the oral and written tests will be combined on a total of 140. Pass mark: 84 out of 140.
Candidates receiving at least the pass mark (84 out 140), all tests combined, will be included in the reserve list of suitable candidates. Please note that inclusion in the reserve list does not guarantee recruitment.
For applications to be valid, candidates must submit:
- a detailed curriculum vitae, in EU CV format ;
- a letter of motivation, including his/her views on the proposed position (2 pages maximum);
Your EPSO candidate ID number and the reference of CAST must be mentioned in your CV and motivation letter.
Please note that the motivation letter forms an essential basis for the pre-selection decision.
Applications must be submitted through the eRecruitment system on our website at http://ec.europa.eu/inea/en/mission-objectives/job-opportunities
Applications must be sent no later than 11th September 2015 midnight.
Supporting documents showing evidence of the provided information may be requested at a later stage. No document will be sent back to candidates.
Candidates are invited to apply in English, to facilitate the selection process.
In no circumstances should candidates approach the selection committee themselves, either directly or indirectly concerning this recruitment. The authority authorised to conclude contracts reserves itself the right to disqualify any candidate who disregards these instructions.
APPOINTMENT AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The jobholder will be appointed on the basis of a shortlist proposed by the selection committee.
The jobholder will be recruited as contract agent, in function group III, pursuant to Article 3a of the new Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities (CEOS).
The basic monthly salary within this function group will depend on the number of years of relevant professional experience at appropriate level (in function group III, either grade 8, grade 9 or grade 10).
The jobholder will serve a probation period of nine months.
The initial contract will be for a duration of 2 years and may be renewed.
The place of employment will be Brussels where the Agency has its activities.
For further information on the legal framework of contract agents, see the web site of the Directorate-General for Human Resources and Security (DG HR) on the internet at
PUBLICATION START DATE
PUBLICATION END DATE
PUBLICATION EXTENSION DATE
A. Eligibility criteria
- Be included in the European Personnel Selection Office (EPSO) data base for contract agents in function group III in a field appropriate to the profile of the post and have successfully passed the EPSO selection tests for that function group (Please note that candidates who are on a valid EPSO list published in 2010 (CAST2010) are eligible on the condition they have successfully passed the complementary tests (DB3), as an Annex to the selection procedure CAST2010. The candidates concerned are invited to consult the letter they received from EPSO for further information).
- A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma ;
- Or, When in a member state of the European Union access to a profession of an equivalent level to function group III is by State examination, professional training or any other equivalent procedure, the authority authorized to conclude contract of employment may agree to recognize this qualification as being equivalent to a university degree;
- Thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Communities and a satisfactory knowledge of another EU language to the extent necessary to perform his/her duties.
OTHER ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
In addition, in order to be eligible a candidate must:
- be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union;
- be entitled to his or her full rights as citizen;
- meet the appropriate character reference as to his/her suitability for the performance of his/her duties;
- have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws concerning military service, and;
- be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post.
- Three years of professional experience acquired in positions related to the profile of the post;
- Very good knowledge of financial, budgetary and accounting matters and tools;
- Very good knowledge of English required;
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural and international environment;
- Experience with the follow-up of budgetary matters preferably in an EU Institution or any public organisation;
- Knowledge of ABAC and Business Object being a valid asset;
- Good command of any other European Union languages (knowledge of French being a valid asset).
- Diploma in Finance or Accounting
Personal qualities essential for the position (evaluated during the interview):
- High ability to work under pressure and autonomously;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proven ability to work as a team member;
- Ability to appreciate and follow priorities.
The Agency will invite to the interview and test phase the best candidates, with a maximum of 10 candidates invited.
UPDATES ON THE APPLICATION PROCESS
An acknowledgement of receipt will be sent to all candidates by email to confirm the reception of their application.
All candidates will be informed in due time about the processing of their application, either they are invited for the selection procedure as described above or not. These notifications will be sent by email only.
A candidate may request clarifications about the processing of his/her application by sending an email quoting the reference of the vacancy notice concerned, at the following address: INEA-HR-INFO@ec.europa.eu.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES, APPEAL PROCEDURE & DATA PROTECTION
The European Union institutions apply a policy of equal opportunities and accept applications without discrimination on the ground of sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation.
A candidate who feels that a mistake was made in the assessment of his/her profile may ask to have it re-assessed by sending, within 15 calendar days of the date on the email notifying the rejection of his/her application, a request for review, quoting the number of the selection procedure concerned to the Chairman of the Selection Committee at the following address: INEA-HR-INFO@ec.europa.eu.
The Selection Committee will reconsider the application and notify the candidate of its decision within 15 working days of receipt of the letter.
The purpose of processing of the data submitted by candidates is to manage the applications in view of a possible pre-selection and recruitment at the INEA. The personal information requested from candidates will be processed in line with Regulation (EC) N°45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the European Union institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data.