Closing Date for Applications: Tue, 8 Sep 2015
Functional area: Administration
The Accounting Section within the Accounting and Procurement Division of the European Central Bank (ECB) is seeking applications for the position of Senior Accounting Assistant.
The Accounting Section is responsible for processing invoices and for maintaining the ECB’s general ledger, fixed asset accounts, accounts payable and accounts receivable, including processing and preparing domestic and cross-border payments for execution. In addition, the Accounting Section deals with various local authorities in matters relating to the processing of VAT and other taxes. The Section is also entrusted with the implementation of the new accounts receivable process to levy fees on the supervised banks within the Single Supervisory Mechanism (SSM).
The successful applicant will be entrusted with the following main tasks:
- processing incoming invoices from ECB suppliers via an electronic approval workflow in SAP ERP;
- conducting payment-related operations;
- providing accounting support and answering queries from external customers and internal ECB business areas involved in purchasing activities;
- processing, verifying and/or approving customer invoices;
- reconciling accounting data;
- recording incoming payments and monitoring overdue customer accounts;
- maintaining SAP key master data;
- working with the ECB SAP components relevant for financial accounting and contributing to the system’s smooth operation and enhancement (including testing activities) from a business perspective;
- performing periodic accounting controls;
- maintaining electronic and paper-based registration and filing systems;
- supporting and training colleagues and new staff members in the team.
Qualifications and experience:
Applicants must have the following knowledge and competencies:
- formal vocational training in accounting or another relevant field in combination with a minimum of three years of professional experience in a relevant field; or alternatively a bachelor degree in a relevant field or a formal accounting qualification such as ACCA;
- in addition, a minimum of one year of relevant professional experience in the field of financial accounting (e.g. accounts receivable, accounts payable, fixed assets, general ledger, VAT and other taxes);
- sound knowledge of accounting operations and processes related to the maintenance of accounts payable, administrative payments and/or accounts receivable, the monitoring of customer accounts and debt collection, as well as related internal control procedures, would be an advantage;
- experience of management accounting/controlling, including user knowledge of the SAP ERP CO and FM modules, would be an asset.
- an advanced command of English;
- at least an intermediate command of spoken German;
- at least one year of experience with SAP or a similar enterprise resource planning system (predominantly for accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, fixed assets, etc.);
- a working knowledge of MS Office, in particular Word and PowerPoint; an advanced knowledge of Excel would be an asset;
- ideally, knowledge of document management systems such as OpenText Livelink.
The successful candidate will have the following behavioural competencies:
- examines issues critically, swiftly recognises potential problems and finds the most suitable way to react adequately, in line with the established practices, and with the business area’s processes and customer satisfaction in mind;
- understands complex processes and is able to operate based on them, with high speed and quality of output;
- ensures timely responses in order to serve internal and external clients efficiently;
- demonstrates the ability to cover for a number of colleagues in the team to ensure that it functions efficiently;
- is comfortable working without close supervision, but knows when to involve colleagues and supervisors;
- accurately processes workflow items with high speed and within tight time frames, ensuring that all required steps are completed and established exceptions are adhered to;
- prioritises tasks and pays attention to detail, even when under time pressure.
Three-year fixed-term contracts, with possible conversion to a contract of indefinite duration subject to individual performance and organisational needs.
To enable the Section to maintain its business continuity capability, the successful applicant will occasionally be expected to perform work during non-standard working hours and work at the ECB’s standby sites.
The selection committee may place suitable candidates on a reserve list, from which candidates may be appointed to similar positions in the same or another business area. It may also be decided to fill the position(s) advertised in this vacancy notice with a suitable candidate or candidates from the reserve list resulting from a recruitment procedure for a similar position. Candidates will be informed accordingly if this happens.
How to apply:
Applications are to be made in English and submitted using our online application form. An "Applicants’ Guide" can be downloaded from our recruitment pages.
The recruitment process may include a pre-screening exercise, a written exercise, a presentation and interviews.
Applications are accepted from nationals of Member States of the European Union.
The requirements laid down in the vacancy notice must be met by the closing date for applications.
This vacancy notice may be used to fill the same position again, or similar positions, within 12 months of the selection decision.
This position has been allocated to salary band: D.
For more information click here.