The following position is open at the REC’s head office in Hungary:
Expert, Local Governance (LOG)
(Ref. no.: 2016/4)
The Regional Environmental Center for Central and Eastern Europe (REC) provides assistance in addressing environmental challenges by promoting cooperation among key environmental stakeholders, including governments, non-governmental organisations and businesses. Established in 1990 by the United States of America, Hungary and the European Commission, the REC is an international organisation, which, with its independent, non-partisan, non-advocacy, non-profit status, has become a model for open, efficient and accountable international cooperation. For more than 25 years the REC has maintained multi-stakeholder platforms and offered technical assistance to the countries of the region for fostering sustainable development, thereby contributing to the improvement of the environment, social cohesion, stability and well-being. The geographical focus of the REC’s operations is Central and Eastern Europe, South Eastern Europe and Turkey, and the EU’s Eastern Partnership and Southern Neighbourhood countries through its regional office network and its head office in Szentendre, not far from the Hungarian capital, Budapest.
The expert will manage the implementation of projects in the REC’s Local Governance Topic Area (LOG TA). The position has a specific focus on providing assistance to improve environmental planning and its integration in all sectors; improving environmental management, energy and water security; and providing pilot, small-scale priority environmental investments. The expert will contribute to the further development of the capacities of local institutions in Ukraine, the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), and South Eastern Europe (SEE) in the fields of sustainability planning and management. The expert will manage activities to strengthen local institutions, address environmental degradation, promote the sustainable use of resources (focusing on water and energy efficiency), reduce the negative impacts of shifts in political structures, and accelerate institutional reforms. The expert will also maintain relations with clients, donors, beneficiaries and external partners.
Work experience, knowledge and skill level required
- Excellent knowledge of the environmental situation and practices in Eastern Partnership, Southern Neighbourhood and SEE countries
- Experience in local development, local planning for sustainability and capacity building/education (5+ years)
- A track record of participation in international community projects in Eastern Partnership, Southern Neighbourhood or SEE countries (specific experience in capacity-building projects is an asset)
- Knowledge of the main local initiatives and development trends in Eastern Partnership, Southern Neighbourhood and SEE countries
- Experience in managing teams and/or projects
- Experience in organising professional events related to local governance is an asset
- Strong office management and administrative skills, including computer literacy
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Fluency (written and spoken) in a language of an Eastern Partnership, Southern Neighbourhood or SEE country is a strong asset
- Ability to work flexibly and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work as a team player
- Availability and willingness to travel frequently
A university degree or equivalent (a higher university degree or equivalent is an asset) in a relevant field, preferably in bio-environmental science, environmental management, economics or socio-political science.
Terms of employment
This full-time position is based at the REC Head Office in Szentendre, Hungary. The position is for a fixed period of 12 months, with the possibility of extension.
Candidates should send a detailed CV and a motivation letter in English (only English-language applications will be considered) outlining their interest in the position and their qualifications by May 13, 2016, to:
Human Resources Department
Regional Environmental Center for Central and Eastern Europe
H-2000, Szentendre, Ady Endre ut 9-11
Please include the position reference number in your application.
Note: Given the large number of applications that we usually receive for each position, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.