Role: ECHO Partnership Trainee and EuropeAid Partnership Trainee
Department: Partnership Management Unit – EuropeAid/ECHO
Workplace: Brussels – 6 months
Country office (location to be decided during the during the first half of the traineeship) – 6 months
Salary in Brussels: approximately EUR 750
Salary in the field: approximately EUR 1000
(+ accommodation, visa, medical insurance, security trainings, and flights covered). Further information to be confirmed.
Post type: NA
Child Safeguarding: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
In Brussels: Provide support as per key areas of responsibility to the Partnership Management Unit. The Unit’s goal is 1) to ensure that Save the Children capitalises on donor funding opportunities that are consistent with our strategic and thematic priorities; and 2) to ensure Save the Children engages in efforts to inform and influence donor policies and investment priorities, as appropriate.
We aim to provide trainees with an opportunity to gain experience in a leading International NGO, learn more about EuropeAid or ECHO fundraising, and obtain skills in donor information management, contract monitoring and rules/regulations of EuropeAid or ECHO.
In the field (tbc): The specific country or region for this part of the posting will be decided during the first half of the internship and will be based on specific needs. Each field based internship will be sponsored by a Save the Children Member.
The goal for this part of the internship is 1) to give the intern experience working in the field and 2) to strengthen the country offices’ work with EuropeAid and/or ECHO.
We aim to provide the intern with an opportunity to learn how to work with EuropeAid and/or ECHO in more practical terms, which includes the whole project cycle from engagement and proposal writing, to implementation and reporting.
Brussels: EuropeAid and/or ECHO Partnership Manager
Country office (tbc): will be reporting to the relevant management structure of the Country Office.
We are recruiting for two separate positions: (1) ECHO Partnership Trainee and (2) EuropeAid Partnership Trainee. Please indicate your interest in the ECHO or the EuropeAid internship (not both).
Tasks and Responsibilities
Support the Partnership Manager with external engagement (40%)
- Gather intelligence and draft briefing notes on thematic areas or countries of strategic interest for donor engagement and share with relevant participants;
- Organise and take care of the logistics of meetings, draft minutes, share information and register follow-up actions;
- Participate in meetings with EuropeAid/ECHO staff, as well as with other organizations and networks as required.
Support the Partnership Manager with the Management of Donor Information (40%)
- Donor intelligence: Monitor EU newsletters, press releases, key internet portals, EU websites, and events corresponding to the EU Office objectives and disseminate relevant information to relevant staff members across the Save the Children EU members;
- Funding opportunities: closely monitor EuropeAid and ECHO funding opportunities at global and country level and provide regular updates to be shared with Save the Children members;
- Grants monitoring: Track the Save the Children applications through a central data base and provide regular updates on progress and success rates to define areas for improvement of quality of proposals.
- Maintain an up-to-date contact database of staff in EuropeAid /ECHO, etc.; Collaborate in maintaining and updating the EU Account Intranet page;
Development of skills (10%)
- Be part of and contribute to Save the Children training materials and sessions on EuropeAid and/or ECHO;
- Join other trainings to increase knowledge of EuropeAid and/or ECHO and workings of Save the Children.
- Administration: Organise meetings, take minutes, arrange for travel…
The interns will coordinate as and when necessary between both the ECHO and EuropeAid Partnership Management Unit.
In the field, country office (tbc):
The specific tasks will be defined in agreement with the specific country office and the Save the Children Member sponsoring the field based internship. Tasks might include:
- Assist with the coordination of project planning and preparation; ensure access to relevant documentation for review and approval;
- Compile, summarize and present information on issues related to the implementation of the project, also assist in drafting and editing texts and reports;
- Assist in the development of project proposals and grant submissions to EuropeAid/ECHO;
- Help to ensure compliance with relevant EuropeAid/ECHO rules and procedures, ensure the availability of relevant documents;
- Assist with administrative coordination of programme implementation activities; ensure timely follow-ups;
- Compile and summarise information regarding project delivery and distribute these to the relevant contacts;
- Assist in drafting and circulating periodic reports, briefing notes, minutes from meetings and statistical data;
- Provide general office assistance; respond to information requests and enquiries;
- Any other relevant duties, as assigned.
Person SpecificationKey qualifications and skills:
- University degree (MA) in political or social science, international relations, European studies, or other related discipline;
- Knowledge of EU institutions; especially of EuropeAid(DG DEVCO/DG NEAR) or ECHO.
- Well-organised, flexible, multi-tasker with the ability to work independently and take on additional responsibilities when required;
- The ability to analyze complex data, summarize it and communicate it to different audiences is essential;
- Strong computer skills: Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, etc.
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Authorisation to work in Belgium;
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal, English is essential);
- Commitment to Save the Children’s mission, values and approach;
- Ability to work with different people and adjust to new environments;
- Willingness to work in difficult working environments.
- Fluent Working level of spoken and written French;
- Strong affinity for working with statistics and website updating
External: people working on related areas in other NGOs and EuropeAid and/or ECHO
Internal: Wide range of contact across the Save the Children members and close cooperation with the ECHO and EuropeAid Partnership Managers
Save the Children Values:Accountability:
- Holds oneself accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving results together with children and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable in delivering on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Creates a managerial environment in-country to lead, enable and maintain our culture of child safeguarding
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for self and team, takes responsibility for own personal development and encourages team to do the same
- Widely shares personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future oriented, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with own team, colleagues, members, donors and partners
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Always acts in the best interests of children
June 7th, 2016
Signed by :
Machteld Bierens de Haan, EuropeAid Partnership Manager
Nils Rocklin, ECHO Partnership Manager
The deadline for applications is 24th of June 2016, 11:59pm.
Interviews for suitable candidates will take place in the week of 4-6 July, 2016.
The selected candidates are expected to be able to start on the 26th of September, 2016.
Please make sure that the cover letter reflects how you meet the requirements of the internship position.
Please note that we will not be accepting applications outside our recruitment system. To apply: