Fairtrade is an alternative approach to conventional trade and is based on a partnership between producers and consumers. Fairtrade offers producers a better deal and improved terms of trade. This allows them the opportunity to improve their lives and plan for their future. Fairtrade offers consumers a powerful way to reduce poverty through their everyday shopping.
Fairtrade International (FI) is the international non-profit, multi stakeholder body that is responsible for the strategic direction of Fairtrade, sets Fairtrade standards and supports producers. The International Development Unit develops specialist thematic programmes required to deepen the impact of Fairtrade‘s work on sustainable development and human rights, and mainstream these programmes across all relevant areas of Fairtrade‘s work.
The Climate Change Programme is responsible for the overall coordination and implementation of Fairtrade’s Climate Change Strategy, including measuring our operational impact and developing a carbon reduction plan for the implementation of activities carried out.
Fairtrade International currently has an internship position available in its International Development Unit
Training officer: Programme Manager – Climate Change and Sustainable Development
Project Assignment: The intern will be responsible for elaborating Fairtrade International’s carbon footprint assessment and supporting the implementation of the organization’s carbon reduction plan.
• Gather information needed from different sources (energy consumption, travel, local transport, etc.);
• Enter data into a calculation tool for carbon emissions;
• Develop a report on the organization’s emissions for the previous business year;
• Provide support to the Climate Team on Fairtrade International’s carbon reduction strategy implementation.
• Studies in the field of environmental sciences, social sciences, development economics, or related field;
• Background knowledge on climate change, notably on climate change mitigation and carbon emissions will be an asset;
• Enrolled in a European University requiring an internship as part of the academic programme;
• Excellent data entry skills;
• Excellent organizational/coordination skills;
• Ability to work under minimum supervision;
• Excellent English;
• Communication and intercultural skills;
• Motivation for the cause of Fairtrade.
Terms and Conditions
• Place of internship: Bonn, Germany
• Office language: English
• Payment: monthly remuneration of 300 Euros
• Start date: as soon as possible.
• Internship is for 4 months
• Full time (38.5 hours per week)
• Please apply by email only, in English, with Curriculum Vitae and motivation letter to Carlos Canales: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Deadline for applications is 28th March 2016
• Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted. FLO e.V. can only accept internships that are part of a formal University Program and with full insurance coverage through this program. The Internship Agreement needs to be signed between FLO e.V. and the respective University