Purpose of the post in terms of ICRC’s mission
The Assistance Division focuses on the provision of health, water and habitat, economic security and weapon contamination services for people and communities affected by armed conflict and other situations of violence in more than 75 countries worldwide.
The ICRC’s Health Unit carries out work in 6 different domains or programs: primary health care, first aid, hospital services, healthcare in detention, mental health and psycho-social support and physical rehabilitation. The programs are strengthened by the use of the results based management (RBM) approach -where it is relevant and feasible. As part of this, Medical Activity Databases (MADs) are being used for Primary Health Care & Health in Detention activities and First Aid, Pre & Hospital Care activities (being currently deployed). The Unit – and Information Communication Technologies (ICT) Divisions at ICRC headquarters are working together to strengthen and develop those tools.
In addition, the Assistance Division provides global data twice a year (Mid-Term Review & Annual Report). The Health Unit is an important contributor to these reports with data consolidated from the MADs and from Monthly Statistical Reports (MSRs) received directly from the field.
The Health Unit is offering a traineeship to work closely with the Health Application Manager (responsible for the MADs deployment and support). S/he will be a member of the overall Health team for the duration of the assignment.
Main responsibilities & Tasks
Under supervision of the Health Application Manager, the post holder will:
1) Assist with the deployment of the MAD for First Aid, Pre & Hospital Care.
- Support the field to configure the application
- Strengthen the application during the first months of use
2) Work with ICT to improve & adjust the other MADs
- New sets of indicators to incorporate in the MAD Det
- Graphs/Tables to review for the MAD PHC
3) Support the consolidation of Assort (Physical Rehabilitation) data for the Annual Report
- Receive data from the field and consolidate them
- Get feedback from the field in case of data inconsistency
4) Follow up on current health data project according to the unit’s agenda (Other MADs & Electronic Medical Record)
Please note that given the developing nature of data management within the Health Unit, and the Assistance Division overall, this list might evolve.
University degree in Development Studies, Information System, Public health, Social Sciences or equivalent.
- Bilingual English and French (oral & written)
- Excellent knowledge and skills in Information Technology & Data management
- Excellent knowledge of Excel
- Familiar with the RBM process
- Public Health and/or Health information system background
- Well organized and precise with a good ability to spot data inconsistency
- Experience in humanitarian operations is an asset
- Location: ICRC headquarter, Geneva
- Starting date: As soon as possible
- Duration of the contract: 6-9 months
- Paid traineeship
Interested persons fulfilling the above criteria should send a letter of motivation and CV/Resume to Clémence Gros (email@example.com) by the 3rd of March (Subject: Traineeship – Health data management)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.