The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced persons. We advocate for their rights and assist with shelter, education, emergency food security, camp management and legal assistance.
The European Union (EU) is of particular interest to the NRC as a global humanitarian actor. Together with its Member States, the European Commission contributes more than half of all humanitarian and development assistance in the world. It is also actively involved both in the political negotiations designed to end a conflict and in the subsequent reconstruction phase. As an operational funding partner, the EU is thus of growing importance to the NRC.
In this context, NRC Europe was established in 2005 in order to strengthen the existing relationship between the European Union and the NRC. NRC currently receives funding from DG ECHO, DG DEVCO, the European Economic Area (EEA), Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Luxembourg and Spain.
2. ROLE, TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide general support to the Partnership team of 3 Advisers
The EU Partnership Intern will report to the EU Partnership adviser.
1. Monitoring of donors updates and funding opportunities
- Screen DEVCO, ECHO and new donors (EU Member States, EEA, etc.) websites to assess potential funding opportunities and relevant documentation of interest for NRC activities;
- Ensure that internal databases related to European Partnerships are updated and accurate;
- Support the IPA in capitalizing knowledge on rules and regulations of new donors and in drafting summary of their guidelines to be shared with the field;
2. Support NRC Europe’s Partnership Department
- Review NRC final reports and annexes received from the field prior to submission
- Submit NRC’s applications and reports onto the relevant donor’s online system (APPEL, PROSPECT, DORIS, etc.)
- Ensure the coordination of Partnership mapping within NRC;
- Compile Media monitoring on European affairs relevant to NRC activities and liaising with the Partnership Advisors for appropriate dissemination within NRC.
- Responsible for sharing information with the OCHA Financial Tracking Service (FTS) and the International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI) when requested
- Assist Partnership Advisers with:
- Use of an NRC database to produce internal reports/statistics and ensure follow up;
- Gather information and follow up on the Partnership Adviser Newsletter for the entire organization;
- Organize project information into a physical archive;
- Represent NRC in meetings when requested and draft minutes of the meetings
- Any other task that may be requested by the Department
- Familiarity with the humanitarian sector
- Strong communication, interpersonal, analytical and negotiation skills
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Solid experience of work with Windows based computer software (especially Excel)
- Have a valid work permit for Belgium.
- Relevant university degree, preferably social sciences or business / public administration OR other relevant educational background combined with relevant professional experience.
- Ability to work independently and with limited supervision
- Demonstrable team-working skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues working in different locations
- Commitment to NRC’s mandate and values
- Knowledge of DEVCO and ECHO’s regulations and funding procedures
- Knowledge of other donors (such as EU Member States – Netherlands, Germany, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Ireland, Spain, etc.)
- Financial or legal (contracts) skills is an asset
- French is an asset
4. WE OFFER
Contract: Belgian “Social immersion professional contract”, meal cheques and transport allowance included.
Starting date: 1st September
Deadline for applications: 22 July 2016
Please note that only applications received through Webcruiter will be considered.