Call for a Legal Intern: Counterterrorism Specialisation
The T.M.C. Asser Instituut offers advanced law students, as well as those who have recently graduated, the opportunity to enrich their knowledge with practical experience of working in the field of counterterrorism.
The T.M.C. Asser Instituut, located in The Hague, is a leading inter-university institute operating in the broad field of international law. Its research is of an interdisciplinary as well as comparative nature, covering all fields of law in which the Institute specializes, including International Criminal, Humanitarian and Human Rights Law.
What we offer
One or more full-time internship(s) for a period of maximum six months, starting 4th of April 2016, for a recently graduated or an advanced law student specialising in counterterrorism and International Criminal/Humanitarian/Human Rights Law to work for a contract project related to foreign terrorist fighters.
The intern will be considered a member of a team working on an array of output, and the tasks will include assisting with the planning and execution of multiple (research) activities, carrying out online surveys, collecting data, preparing overviews, assisting with the development of a knowledge hub by providing research inputs, design of infographics and other tools, as well as analytical papers and other tasks as they arise. Fluency in written and spoken English (knowledge of other languages [e.g., Arabic, French or German] is an advantage).
Interested candidates should have experience in the following:
• An academic background in counterterrorism and international criminal, humanitarian and/or human rights law;
• A demonstrable interest in the phenomenon of Foreign Terrorist Fighters.
• Strong legal analysis and writing skills and experience in writing legal reports and analysis;
• Conducting background research and collecting literature;
• Flexibility, motivation and the capability to work independently.
• Designing interactive tools such as interactive graphics and maps;
• Experience with web-design and visual tools will be considered an asset;
• Proven user of MS tools and content management system;
• Creative and innovative and the capability to work independently.
What we offer:
• A monthly stipend is available ranging from €300 to €450, based on the level of education completed;
• An inspiring and dynamic working environment.
How to apply:
Students who are interested in applying can send their letter of motivation and CV (in Europass format), in English and MS-Word only, to HRM@asser.nl at latest by 25 March 2016 at 17:00 CET. The selected applicants will be invited for interviews which will take place in week 13 (28 – 31 March 2016). The envisaged start date is 4th April 2016.
Please note: We cannot offer assistance in obtaining residence and work permits (for Non-EU students) for the duration of this internship.