The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States. For more information, please visit http://unu.edu.
The United Nations University Vice-Rectorate in Europe (UNU-ViE)
UNU-ViE concentrates on relationships between advancing science and technology for human security. In addition to its scientific core mandate, it administers the central units providing service to five UNU entities in Bonn (http://www.bonn.unu.edu/). The central administration units include Finance, Human Resources, Information Communication Technology, Communication Services, Procurement and General Administration. These units also assist with the administration of new UNU initiatives in Europe and Africa. For more information on the organization, please visit the following websites: www.vie.unu.edu
United Nations University-Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS)
UNU-EHS, established in December 2003, is part of the UNU system, a worldwide network of Research and Training Institutes. Its mission is to advance human security through knowledge-based approaches to reducing vulnerability and environmental risks. For more information, please visit www.ehs.unu.edu.
Under the overall authority of the Vice Rector in Europe and the direct supervision of the Finance and Administrative Officer, the incumbent shall assist with the operation and administrative functions as related to general administration (HR, procurement and finance) and programme support services. The main tasks are:
Assist in day to day operations of central administration unit (HR, procurement and finance). The specific tasks would include:
- Assist financial operations in accordance with UNU’s policies, United Nations Financial Rules and Regulation (UNFRR) and established operational procedures, and ensure that proper and accurate accounting records are well-maintained;
- Assist in processing monthly payroll for staff, consultants, and stipend holders;
- Assist with the recruitment of personnel (advertisement of vacancy announcements, application flows);
- Assist in drafting personnel contracts including PSAs, CTCs and PhD Fellowship Awards, based on UNU HR policies;
- Assist in providing support and guidance to organizational units on all stages of the procurement process and advice colleagues in the UNU entities in Bonn on matters relevant to the UN procurement rules and best practices;
- Any other duties as may be assigned or required.
Assist in day to day operations of programme support services as related to third party funded academic research projects. The specific tasks would include:
- Coordinate mission travels, including the review of travelers’ Duty Travel Plans (DTPs) prior to submission to Certifying Officer (CO); input and process travel requisitions, including payment of travel advances and process post mission travel claims;
- Provide administrative support for the planning, budgeting, organization and preparation of events such as meetings, workshops, etc.;
- Assist in processing project related expenditures in ERP system; monitor project financial and budgetary status; maintain overview of availability of project funds; inform project owners of project budget and financial performance;
- Assist in preparing financial reporting to donors and follow-up on financial reporting in observance to donor’s conditions and deadlines;
- Maintain and keep up to date all project files, documents and communications;
- Any other duties as may be assigned or required.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Completed secondary education. A first (or higher) level university degree in business administration, human resource management, finance, or a related field will be considered an asset.
- Two (2) years of working experience, ideally touching the functions of general administration, finance, procurement and human resources related functions, or programme support
- Familiarity with UN rules and regulation concerning administration, finance, procurement and/or human resources, would be a distinct advantage;
- Excellent command of English is mandatory;
- Proficient in the use of MS Office applications;
- Experience in using Oracle PeopleSoft or any other ERP system is highly desirable;
- Good communication and interpersonal skillsExcellent time management skills, forward planning, with the ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision;
- A good team player with strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Remuneration will commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Duration of Contract:
- This is a full-time employment on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with the possibility of renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years.
- This is a locally recruited post; no relocation expenses or allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor is he/she a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
- Applications from suitably qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged.
Starting Date: As soon as possible, vacancy shall remain open until position is filled
Interested applicants should submit their applications (in English) by e-mail (to email@example.com), and must include the following:
- a cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
- a curriculum vitae and a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) formdownloadable from the UNU website. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations;
- an indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2017/UNU/ViE/PSA/FAU/78)
Short listed candidates may be required to take written test conducted online prior to interview.